Casting a fair eye on the sartorial oilslick upon society that is fashion

Sunday 31 January 2010

Closet Keepers






A new feature, unique to this blog!

Every time I find a garment or accessory which is a guaranteed keeper-never-will-let-you-down find I will post it here under this title. I will post them as I find them, I promise objectivity!

I don't think much of brand. If it's quality, well-designed, inspired piece of clothing which will be worn for years to come I will post it, whether it be Prada or Primark (just don't count on the Primark piece to last for eons!).

(I would also like to categorically state I receive no endorsement for this sort of thing, I just thought it would be a fun feature for the blog!)

The first item I have foundis this Milly Paisley-embroidered silk blouse for £355.00. Even I'd think thrice before dishing out that sort of money for a top. But oh it's ticking every box of Closet Keeper criteria.

Firstly it's a piece which would be easy to integrate into anyone's wardrobe, regardless of age. It is a typical dress-up/dress-down piece. The fresh mint shade is flattering on all skin shades and ages and the metallic print and piping add glamour. The gold at the neck also brightens the complexion.

It's sleeves are my favourite length, hitting below the elbow, most often the thinnest part of the arm and therefore flattering. It's also a long top, which you can belt over to reveal your waist, I would reccomend a leather belt in gold or cream. Or you can leave it loose if you're concious about your tummy. The pleating at the neck flatters the figure.

It's in silk, which feels gorgeous on skin!

Paisley is a timeless, timeless print! It just never goes out of fashion. The big bold metallic prints give it just the right amount of modern edge, whilst retaining a distinctly vintage feel.

I'm feeling happy just looking at it.

Examples of how to wear it:

  • Gold strappy heels with white skinny trousers/jeans if you're not going to be intimate with red wine/food.
  • A statement necklace, which thanks to the gold neck and cuff piping and silver paisley print, can be gold/silver/wood/stones.
  • Wear it under a neutral coloured or grey skirt (above the knee). A brightly coloured contrasting belt and nude pumps. Keep lips nude and eyes metallic green to match the shade.
  • Wear it over wide legged pants in white, or neutral shades.
  • Wear it with a blazer in a pastel shade and jeans.
  • Leave out the necklace and go for statement earrings, ethnic ones if possible like Indian costume jewellery. Keep hair in a dramatic up do to sho off the neckline and sleeves.
  • If you wear a hijab then put this on top of a polo neck in cream and wear a cream/pastel shade hijab with metallic detail and a long cream skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment